Our Physical Education Curriculum
Statement of Intent
At St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, we recognise the importance that PE plays in the curriculum and are committed to providing all children with opportunities to engage fully in physical education. The aim of our PE programme is to develop children's basic physical competencies, build confidence in their ability and build the foundations for a lifelong love of sport, physical activity and a healthy lifestyle. PE lessons encourage children to compete against themselves and others whilst being challenged to improve their physical, social, emotional and thinking skills.
Statement of Implementation
Our PE Curriculum provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including invasion games, net & wall games, striking and fielding games,
gymnastics, dance, health and fitness, outdoor adventure and swimming.
In KS1, children should learn to:
- Master basic movements, including running, jumping, throwing and catching
- Develop balance, agility and co-ordination
- Participate in team games
- Develop simple tactics for attack and defence
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns
In KS2, they should learn to:
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
- Perform dances uses a range of movement patterns
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges, individually and as part of a team
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
Statement of Impact
We ensure that our PE curriculum is progressive and allows children to develop fundamental skills and apply them to a variety of sports and activities.
All children are provided with the necessary skills and given opportunities to demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best. Our pupils are physically active, and this has a positive impact on their learning in the classroom. Children understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of regular exercise. We aspire for children to enjoy PE and develop a love of sport and physical activity which becomes part of their future life outside of primary school. Children can represent the school at sporting events from local to county level. Alongside this, we share sporting achievements both in and out of school in Celebration Assembly, so that we are promoting sports and activities, as well as celebrating all levels of success. We aim for all Year 6 pupils to leave school with the skills to competently swim at least 25m and have the skills to self-rescue in the water which are key life skills.
Overview of Our Physical Education Curriculum
Our Physical Education Long Term Plan.